Collingwood Advisory is seeking to hire a market researcher with demonstrable experience in qualitative and qualitative primary research (5 years +).
Ideally, you will have experience of working with publishing and / or events businesses in B2B or B2C, or experience in a B2B field.
You’re a highly organised person who can juggle multiple projects with fixed, tight deadlines.
The ideal candidate will be used to dealing with senior-level clients, and will be able to confidently present at this level, having the gravitas required to ‘speak truth to power’ in client engagements.
You’ll be someone who values variety and freedom and is excited about helping a business grow.
At Collingwood Advisory, we help media entrepreneurs to grow their business.
Our team of experienced advisers delivers high quality advice and support through structured multi-year programmes covering strategy, planning, product development, sales, marketing, customer success and finance.
Many of our projects include a market research element, where we design, conduct and report on primary (and sometimes secondary) research to inform our clients’ wider programme of work. We are looking for an Insights Adviser to deliver these market research projects for our amazing clients. It’s an exciting role that demonstrates our commitment to putting market research at the heart of our client offering.
More about Collingwood
- We are media specialists, with experience in publishing and events, in B2B and B2C
- We are dedicated to entrepreneurs, never acting for corporates or private equity firms
- We are active supporters of the media founder community
- hosting a global Media Entrepreneur Meetup with over 400 members
- producing Collingwood Insights, which provides roundtables, webinars and articles year-round
We’re a high-growth company (doubling revenues each year) and are rapidly growing our team. We have an office in London, and fully support virtual, hybrid and office working.
About the role
The role of Insights Adviser is primarily to run market research end-to-end for Collingwood’s media clients, based in the UK, US (and beyond). You will be working across several clients at any one time, from industries spanning financial services to healthcare, technology to construction. (At present, most of Collingwood’s clients are B2B.)
It’s a highly varied role that will suit someone who loves being face to face with clients, being independent and autonomous in their work, positioning themselves as a market research expert and flexing their approach to meet the needs of different clients and industries.
You will work directly with clients who are the founders of their businesses (and their senior management team), as well as your fellow Collingwood advisers, to conduct top quality research that informs business decisions at the highest level. This includes research to inform product development, financial planning and business strategy.
While there is some admin support for the Insights Adviser, the role is very hands on. You may be programming a survey and presenting to the Board on the same day!
You may also be asked on occasion to undertake market research to inform Collingwood’s own product development activity, e.g. designing client feedback surveys or conducting client feedback interviews.
There is significant potential for us to grow Collingwood’s Insights offering and we welcome the Insights Adviser’s input into developing new market research solutions for our clients.
A typical Insights project requires you to:
Define the research objectives for Insights projects by:
- Reviewing financial, strategy and other client information to draw out key challenges and opportunities
- Workshopping with the client around their research needs and practical considerations
- Determining the sample
- Designing the research methodology, including the chosen qualitative / quantitative approaches, schedule and all materials (discussion guides, online surveys, focus group exercises etc.)
Execute the market research by:
- Engaging the client around the research plan to ensure they are on board
- Tasking the client with key activities and ensuring they deliver them to schedule (e.g., inviting people to take part in interview)
- Conducting the fieldwork, usually a combination of primary qualitative and quantitative work but secondary research is sometimes also needed
- Overcoming any obstacles as they arise, e.g. low survey response rates
Report on the research findings by:
- Analysing and presenting quantitative data to highlight important findings in line with the research objectives
- Analysing and synthesising qualitative research, e.g. interview transcriptions, to pull out findings in line with the research objectives
- Drawing on the expertise of fellow Collingwood advisers, as well as the research findings and your own expertise, to make highly targeted recommendations for action, informed by the research
Skills and attributes
The successful candidate will have strengths in the following areas:
- Understanding of Board papers and strategy documents and how to interpret them into research objectives
- Ability to take research findings and turn them into strategic recommendations for actions that will make a significant difference to our clients’ businesses
- Detailed timeline and action planning
- Ability to manage multiple projects to deadline, including getting clients to do the work they need to do
- Responsiveness to client queries and pressures while still keeping projects on track
Communication and teamwork
- Excellent writing skills, with a high level of attention to detail
- Adept at presenting and facilitating meetings, engaging the audience and building consensus on decisions
- Proactive communicator, who keeps colleagues in the loop about their work
- Able to get clients to change behaviour and see through challenging changes
- Collegiate and respectful
- High EQ, proven ability to adapt to situations and different learning styles
Problem solving and lateral thinking
- Ability to form and test hypotheses about potential changes
- Ability to identify unforeseen challenges and help clients to adapt
- Team worker who shares potential problems with colleagues to find better solution
Why you should work with us
We continually assess ourselves against our values. This means that our team is very much aligned around what we believe in:
- Honesty and self-awareness
- Challenging clients, speaking truth to power
- Doing what’s right for the client company
- Rational objectivity; fact-based decisions
- Bringing structure and process to decision-making
- Listening with openness and humility
- Committed to creating value
- Delivering lasting change
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, disruptive
- Positive and solutions-focused
- Proactive and helpful
- Success is when clients achieve their life and business goals
Diversity and inclusion
Collingwood is committed to building an inclusive organisation and welcomes applicants regardless of age, gender, race, nationality, disability or sexual orientation.
- Join a dynamic, engaged and friendly team embarking on an ambitious growth plan
- 25 days’ holiday per year
- Flexible working (virtual / hybrid / office)
- Pension contribution
- Career progression opportunities
- Investment in your training and development