Senior Project Manager - Project Management GPS
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to join the GfK Project Management team based in Canary Wharf, London. This is an exciting time for the Project Management team at GfK which has recently undergone an expansion both in terms of people and the remit of tasks being undertaken for projects.
Project Management is critical to the success of our business with team members working closely with our Product and Industry teams, as well as clients, to deliver high quality outputs.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to join our friendly, enthusiastic team and help us as we move forward in shaping the future of our Project Management team. You will be working on a range of projects from large complex international studies to smaller ad hoc studies and this role offers good development opportunities for the right candidate. Expertise in data handling would be a strong advantage for this role, including automated reporting and data integration.
GfK’s Project Management team is responsible for the overall delivery and execution of all research projects. The team is also referred to as GPS (Global Project Services) and this reflects the global initiative to provide a network of dedicated Project Management teams. As part of the GfK UK Operations division, the team works closely with Researchers, external clients and colleagues within Operations to ensure proper and accurate delivery of all projects.
As project managers we are responsible for making the project happen; from proposal input through to data and client deliverables, this includes ensuring the correct methods are used for the research and the correct resource is available to successfully implement and deliver the requirements on time, on budget and to the highest quality standards. The team is also responsible for defining best practice and making improvements to our Project Management processes, tools and resources.
Whilst separate to our Bidding team, the Project Management team will investigate new options and solutions that are open to us and provide additional support to the Bidding team when required. This is project management in its broadest sense providing valuable input to all stages of the research process.
Purpose of the Role
A Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing medium sized International and UK only projects which are more challenging in their complexity, at the same time managing a small project team. They are most likely to support and form part of the project team for our larger and technically advanced projects.
Additionally the position will need to:
- Support relationships with the Industry and Solutions teams and, where required, external clients
- Be actively aware of the financial performance of the projects they are responsible for
- Potentially directly manage or coach individuals in the team or provide mentoring/support for more junior staff on a project basis
- Take a supporting role in Project Management strategic initiatives aimed at developing the services UK Operations offer the Industry/Research teams.
- Support the Bidding team during the costing phase, making recommendations and sharing experience to contribute towards accurate costing and project design
Key Activities/ Responsibilities
- Support the Bidding team by providing practical bidding support and guidance and recommendations based on experience
- Manage projects professionally and to global and local standards with attention to budget, timing, consultation and quality
- Provide technical and operational consultancy to the Industry and Solutions teams
- Attend initial internal project briefings
- Ensure PMI (Project Management Institute) standards are used across all projects; disseminate learnings down to junior team"
- Manage medium scale projects professionally and with attention to budget, timing, consultation and quality
- Act as first point of contact for escalation of project
- Provide final review and Operations sign-off of fieldwork material
- Provide final review and Operations sign-off of scripts
- Liaise with 3rd party sample providers for strategy, financials and re-costing
- Provide end-client focused tasks to ensure overall project quality
- Implement and follow global and local standard procedures and processes
- Instruct and liaise with Global Support Centers and/or GPS Romania on projects
- Monitor professional workload management
- Understand PMI (Project Management Institute) principles and ensure they are cascaded throughout the team"
- Provide support for people development/career progression for any direct reports and coachees, as well as offering advice and support to other team members
- Set goals, provide direction and guidance to direct reports/junior team members
- Cascade product training to direct reports / junior team members
- Actively take part in training or redefining processes to aid team performance
- Develop own skills across methodologies, industries and specialisms to offer consultation in the operational delivery of international research studies
- Support the communication of global and local strategy to direct team
- Be actively aware of the financial performance of the projects your team is responsible for
- Ensure projects are booked correctly and in a timely manner and that any revised pricing is negotiated at an early stage and the project re-booked
- Highlight to Team Leads any issues potentially impacting on project profitability at the earliest opportunity, allowing any potential overruns to be anticipated and addressed
- Coordinate Global Service Centre and/or GPS Romania support on projects to ensure a cost-effective service
- On a project by project basis, ensure the Project Management team meets the needs of the Solutions teams
- Support the implementation of the strategy for UK Operations. Understand the necessary processes and ensure they are implemented on projects
Technical skills required
- Ability to create develop solid working relationships with international contacts
- Demonstrate good understanding of implementing various research methodologies (CAWI, CATI, PAPI)
- Experience of line managing teams and/or coaching individuals
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of project management
- Solid grasp of cultural differences in fieldwork approaches by market
- Client focused attitude - ability to develop strong relationships with the industry and Solutions teams, and external clients as required
- Well-developed decision making and priority setting skills
- Team-player - ability to work productively with colleagues across all teams
This role will be based in Canary Wharf and offers a competitive salary, benefits and bonus. This role will be on a 12 month fixed term contract.