Associate Director - Project Management GPS
We are looking for a Project Management Associate Director to join the GfK Project Management team based in Canary Wharf, London. This is an exciting time for the Project Management team at GfK which has recently undergone an expansion both in terms of people and the remit of tasks being undertaken for projects.
Project Management is critical to the success of our business with team members working closely with our Product and Industry teams, as well as clients, to deliver high quality outputs.
We are looking for a strong Associate Director to join our friendly, enthusiastic team and help us as we move forward in shaping the future of our Project Management team. Expertise in data handling is a prerequisite for this role, including automated reporting and data integration.
GfK’s Project Management team is responsible for the overall delivery and execution of all research projects. The team is also referred to as GPS (Global Project Services) and this reflects the global initiative to provide a network of dedicated Project Management teams. As part of the GfK UK Operations division, the team works closely with Researchers, external clients and colleagues within Operations to ensure proper and accurate delivery of all projects.
As project managers we are responsible for making the project happen; from proposal input through to data and client deliverables, this includes ensuring the correct methods are used for the research and the correct resource is available to successfully implement and deliver the requirements on time, on budget and to the highest quality standards. The team is also responsible for defining best practice and making improvements to our Project Management processes, tools and resources.
Whilst separate to our Bidding team, the Project Management team will investigate new options and solutions that are open to us and provide additional support to the Bidding team when required. This is project management in its broadest sense providing valuable input to all stages of the research process.
Purpose of the Role
A Project Management Associate Director is responsible for leading the delivery of our larger and more complex international or UK only projects.
Additionally the position will need to:
- Develop relationships with the Industry and Research teams and, where required, external clients
- Manage the financial performance of the projects for which they are responsible
- Provide leadership to the project team and/or direct reports to ensure the correct skills and culture exist within the team
- Directly manage or coach other Project Managers
- Collaborate successfully with our Global Service Centres (offshore teams)
- Support the PM and UK Operations management team, and lead, or take a leading role in, strategic initiatives aimed at developing the services Operations offer the Industry/Solutions teams
- Where required, represent Operations on large scale opportunities in the proposal phase for example, make recommendations, offer best solutions for project design and attend pitches or provide proposal content and materials
Key Activities/ Responsibilities
- Support Bidding team by providing strategic guidance, project insight and leadership on large proposals
- Manage projects professionally and to global and local standards with attention to budget, timing, consultation and quality
- Provide technical and operational consultancy/solutions to the Industry and Research teams
- Attend initial internal project briefings, defining project roles and responsibilities
- Ensure processes and systems for project management within the UK team are robust, efficient, provide a seamless and consistent service to the Research teams
- Direct and oversee project management carried out by a specific project team or those for whom to coach or line manage
- Act as a senior point of escalation for project issues
- Promote an end-client focused culture within Operations with the goal being to work in partnership with both the Operations and Research/Industry team to ensure end-client satisfaction
- Implement and follow global standard procedures and processes
- Manage the relationship with Global Support Centers and/or GPS Romania
- Ensure professional workload management and optimal utilization levels
- Drive (Project Management Institute) principles and ensure they are cascaded throughout the team
- Provide support for people development/career progression within direct team, coachees and across the Operations team
- Help identify areas for team improvement and support either training or processes to aid improvement
- Support knowledge sharing, including the cascading of knowledge in relation to the GfK product portfolio
- Develop own skills, and skills in the team, across methodologies, industries and specialisms so that the team can offer recommendations and solutions
- Use the expertise developed within the UK to support the development of colleagues in other Project Management teams through coaching and mentoring
- Support the communication of global and local strategy to direct team; set goals, provide direction and guidance to direct reports
- Monitor and report on key metrics for all projects for which you (and/or your team) is responsible
- Ensure projects are booked correctly and in a timely manner and that any revised pricing is negotiated at an early stage and the project re-booked
- Analyse job reports to monitor supplier invoicing, time allocated etc. to anticipate and address any potential overruns
- Regularly review supplier performance and provide feedback to Bidding/Procurement
- Ensure the team meets the needs of the product team researchers through regular collaboration and feedback forums
- Take the initiative in supporting the implementation of the strategy for UK Operations, lead or significantly contribute on appropriate initiatives.
Technical skills required
- Expertise in working within a multicultural business environment and developing solid working relationships with international contacts
- Expertise in providing and implementing effective solutions to various research methodologies
- Experience of line managing teams and/or coaching individuals
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of international project management
- Solid grasp of cultural differences in fieldwork approaches by market
- Proven track record for supporting and implementing company strategy
- Client focused attitude – ability to develop strong relationships and work in partnership with the industry and research teams, and external clients as required
- Well-developed decision making, priority setting and negotiation skills
- Team-player – ability to work productively with colleagues across all the Operations’ teams
- Commercially focused – with an understanding of cost-management; well-developed business acumen with the ability to make sound suggestions that support the business needs of the company.
This role will be based in our Canary Wharf offices and include a competitive salary, benefits and bonus.